When your pooch is suffering from kidney disease, prioritizing his diet should be your number one concern. Highly nutritious foods are always the most important factor as your dog battles the kidney disease.
Just as soon as your vet confirms the bad news to you, you need to forget about all your sorrows and work on a plan to ease your dog’s internal struggles. Customizing the dog’s diet with the assistance of a dog nutritionist is your best bet.
This guide will help you create a healthy homemade dog food for kidney disease that will not only guarantee your pup a longer life, but also a stress-free one.
3 Homemade Dog Food Remedies For Kidney Diseases
Homemade food for your dog with low levels of high-quality protein and phosphorous provides for a low-cost feeding regime for dogs with kidney disease. When the dog digests proteins, nitrogen is normally left in the body. The kidneys would then have to work overtime to filter this nitrogen.
High-quality proteins give low nitrogen remnants. Every food you make should consider this. Dog foods bought from stores do not cut it out for your dog. Most of these contain additives and preservatives that do more harm than good to your dog.
Here are some of the recipes that you can use to make something delicious for your ailing dog.
1. Beef-rice stew
This unique homemade dog food recipe is for one serving only. This food is not enriched with additives as most of the commercial ones.
- White cooked rice, 2 cups
- ¼ pound of ground non-lean beef
- Hard-cooked egg, 1
- 3 slices of white bread
- 1 teaspoon of calcium carbonate
- Thoroughly cook the meat until it is soft
- Mix the egg, bread slices, cooked rice and calcium in a separate bowl
- Stir the mixture and add it to the cooked beef.
- Feed this food to your dog twice in a day.
- Vitamin supplements are highly advised
2. Low Phosphorous Homemade Dog Food
If your dog has been diagnosed with kidney disease/failure, then foods that contain phosphorous should be a no-go zone. Phosphorus and kidney disease do not go hand in hand. This is, therefore, a recipe worth considering for your cute ailing friend.
- Lean beef, 2 pounds, it should be ground.
- ½ kg of egg white
- Green beans, 1 pound
- Uncooked rice, 2 cups (you can use pearled barley)
- Acorn squash, 2 pounds (it should be peeled as well as cubed)
- Coconut oil, 2 tablespoons
- ½ a cup of fresh, finely chopped parsley
- You can use acceptable seasonings to taste. The use of garlic is still controversial and should be avoided.
- First, prepare the rice by cooking it as per the instructions in the package. For every 2 cups of rice, use 4 cups of water. Boil it for around 15 minutes, remove from the heat and let it stay covered for about five minutes.
- Remove the parsley leaves from the stems and finely chop them. Wash the leaves in clean water.
- Uncover the rice and add the parsley leaves. Properly mix these together.
- Halve the squash, making sure to remove the seeds. Slice the squash into strips along the length. Peel them using the vegetable peeler.
- Divide the squash into cubes. Transfer the cubes to a medium-sized pot, and half fill it with water.
- Boil the squash until fork tender. Then remove the squash from the pot and discard any excess water.
- Wholly steam the green beans.
- Fry the ground beef in a pan for 10 minutes, or until the pinkness cooks out. It is at this stage that you can use the seasonings you had prepared. Allow the meat to cool.
- Place all the ingredients that have so far cooled in a powerful blender.
- Puree the mixture until it is smooth. If they do not fit at once, then carry out the process in stages.
- After all the ingredients have been pureed, add them to the rice.
- Add some of the beef to the rice-purees mixture.
- Scramble the eggs in coconut for about 4 minutes. Use the same pan you used for frying the beef.
- Add the scrambled eggs to the earlier beef-puree mixture.
- Measure an appropriate quantity for your dog and let him enjoy the sumptuous meal.
- Keep the excess in bags and deep freeze. Ensure you warm the meal first after freezing when giving to your dog.
You can find a more detailed version of this recipe [here]
3. Eggs and Boiled Sweet Potato
This recipe gives you the flexibility of giving your dog as many servings as you wish, at any given time. You can feed it daily to a dog weighing about 40 pounds. You can adjust the quantities of the ingredients based on your dog’s weight.
- 2 boiled organic eggs.
- Boiled organic sweet potatoes (the skin should not be peeled off)
- Pureed organic vegetables (broccoli, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, greens etc.), 1 ½ cups
- Oil blend, 1 tablespoon
- Mix all your ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir so that the ingredients are consistently uniform.
- Serve your dog the meal warm and never cold.
- Deep freeze any remaining food for next time.
There you have it on the best homemade dog food for kidney disease. Three of the most incredible homemade recipes to keep your ailing dog healthy and bouncing as usual have been discussed above. Dogs suffering from Kidney failure need the best care they can get from you. Fine tuning their dietary needs should be your primary objective then.
Whatever you decide to cook for your dog, ensure it has less phosphorous and more high-quality proteins. This is because low-quality proteins produce more nitrogen that the weak kidneys have to filter out.
Keep calm, be in charge and use your cooking wits to whip something special for your ailing dog. All the best for as you and your dog try to handle the kidney disease.
If you are someone who has a busy lifestyle and doesn’t have the time to cook for your pet then pre-packaged food would be perfect for you.